Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Books for Boys

A colleague recently asked me for some recommendations for books for boys, so I thought I’d post my list and reflections here. Many more no doubt could or should be listed, but below are some books my boys and I have enjoyed. I compiled the list by giving a quick look back over this blog and by asking my sons what they remembered as their favorites. Links take you to discussions of these books on this blog. Typically my thoughts on the age range for the book can be found at the link.

First, here are a few really good articles on the topic. Some relate specifically to boys and others more generally to the importance of reading good stories:
Articles:
“Living with Books” from this blog
Thomas Spence, Wall Street Journal, “How to Raise Boys Who Read.” 

Books/Authors
C. S. Lewis, Chronicles of Narnia
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Hobbit (younger ages), Lord of the Rings (older)
John White, The Archives of Anthropos series- The Sword Bearer, Gaal the Conqueror, The Tower of Geburah- good allegorical fantasy; some dark elements

R. M. Ballantyne- The Coral Island, and others- With a boy as the main character in each story Ballantyne tells great adventure stories with the Christian faith prominently featured
G. A. Henty (blog entries)- Good historical fiction with a boy as the main character. Some are better than others. Character, courage, faith and perseverance are prominent. My favorite Henty is In the Reign of Terror (French Revolution)

Alta Abernathy, Bud & Me : The True Adventures of the Abernathy Boyshttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=thechildrshou-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0966216601- Fascinating true story of perseverance, courage and family

Douglas Bond, Hostage Lands- Roman Britain
Rosemary Sutcliffe- The Lantern Bearers, Eagle of the Ninth- Roman Britain
Piet Prins Struggle For Freedom Series (Martin & Boudewyn) When the Morning Came, Dispelling the Tyranny, [others in series]
Douglas Bond, The Crown & Covenant Series- Duncan’s War, King’s Arrow, Rebel’s Keep (combined review)- one of our favorite series ever; Scottish history
Kathleen Fidler, I Rode with the Covenanters
Peter Reese Doyle, Drums of War series- American Revolution
Douglas Bond- Faith & Freedom trilogy- Guns of Thunder, Guns of the Lion- American Revolution


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this list of books for boys. My son is 8 and not a big reader, but I'm always trying to encourage him! He reads at 4th grade level. Could you direct me to a few books on this list that he could possibly read alone?
Thanks,
Carmela

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Here.