Monday, September 03, 2012

Children Doing Theology


This evening at bath time Abigail was chatting along as usual. She asked again about how old her mom and I were when we got married and how long it would be until her oldest brother, Nathan, would be that age. She is clearly interested in this point! Along the way her younger brother said something about the stars and creation which prompted her into a discourse about how God created all things. It had to do with a finer point in Timothy’s question about how quickly/easily God created. I didn’t understand all the words (they did!), but I reflected on the point that children are regularly ‘theologizing’ because they observe, wonder and ask. If we parents will simply listen there will be plenty of opportunities to join in and guide. It is important to have set teaching times, of course, but it is also important to catch these times when they themselves are wondering and asking about things we want them to know.

One of the most encouraging things I have read on capturing these moments is James Speigel’s book, Gum, Geckos and God, which I’ve previously recommended here (including a helpful answer from Jim). This book recounts various situations where conversations on a wide range of kid topics were connected to truths about God.  Formal teaching times set up these informal times by placing the truths about God in the conversation.

This evening was just a little reminder to me to listen well, enjoy and engage. 

2 Comments:

At 5:12 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Sounds like your diligent training of your children is showing much fruit!

I was looking through the book you linked to on the Amazon link and was enjoying his writing. But when I got to the Notes, #10 has me concerned a bit where he apparently describes two major problems with the penal-substitution view. That troubles me.

What are your thoughts?

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Ray Van Neste said...

Thanks Heather!
Thanks also for pointing out this note. I did not catch this note previously, which is bad on me. I do not agree with him on that point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Here.