Thursday, February 23, 2006

Favorite Norse Myths


Favorite Norse Myths, retold by Mary Pope Osborne
Illustrated by Troy Howell, pb. 87 pp.

We really enjoyed this book! I read all of it and so far have only read some of it to my boys. It is a good source when studying the Viking era (as we have been). Some Christian parents are uncertain about discussing mythology (Greek, Norse or otherwise) with their children. I have discussed this earlier in a post, but I will say again that I do think it is important to ground your children well in the biblical story before dealing with the myths. It was fun to read the Norse creation story to my boys and hear them critique it! It was really funny in points as well. My boys found it ridiculous to think of things happening so much by chance and to hear of the pettiness of these gods.

I found it intriguing to note a number of similarities to the biblical story. I know some feel challenged by such similarities. However, if we all come from Adam and Eve, and then Noah, it is not surprising at all to find remnants of the truth in the stories of various people.

Lastly, the illustrations are really well done. There are reproductions of Viking art illustrating the stories, and there full and double page paintings. Both are really nice.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Here.