Monday, June 27, 2011

Squire Boone Biography

The Incredible Adventures of Daniel Boone's Kid Brother, Squire, by Fred Conway
(FBH Publishers, 1994), pb., 111 pp.
Ages 9+

This is a fun book full of adventure as well as historical information.  Most kids know about Daniel Boone, but few have heard of his brother, Squire.  Conway does a good job in telling the narrative of Squire’s life capturing the key historical events and the spirit of adventure.

I had heard of Squire but had no idea of his historical significance. I had not known that Squire after his conversion became a Baptist preacher of Reformed convictions. As an older man he carved into the foundation stones of the grist mill he and his sons built:
I set and sing my soul’s salvation and
Bless the God of my creation
My God my life hath much befriended
I’ll praise him til my days are ended.

In addition to being a key pioneer, settler and founder of forts and towns, Squire also served as delegate to the first legislature of Kentucky (1775), state representative, signatory of Virginia’s ratification of the Constitution (Kentucky was then part of Virginia), performed the first recorded wedding west of the Appalachians, delivered the first church sermon in Louisville, and  built the first Baptist church in Indiana. Not bad!

The book concludes with very informative appendices noting historic locations and parks commemorating Squire Boone which can be visited today.

This is a useful, informative and enjoyable little book and we commend it to you.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We ran across this book some years back while on vacation. We had stopped at Squire Boone Caverns in Indiana. It is a good one.
Scott

 
At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Maria said...

Hi! You've got a great blog. Did you name it after the "The Children's Hour" poem? I used to memorize that poem as a child. I'd like to invite you to visit a new blog I created for a fund raising event I joined called The Novel Challenge. If you'd like to sponsor, that would be wonderful too. Or you can spread the word. It's for a good cause. :-D Thanks.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Ray Van Neste said...

Thanks Maria. Yes, I took the name of this blog from that poem- what a great poem! Thanks for telling me about your new blog. Best Wishes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Here.