Monday, February 25, 2008

Gladys Aylward

Gladys Aylward: No Mountain Too High , by Myrna Grant
(Christian Focus, 2003), pb., 175 pp.
Ages 6+

I was really interested in this book because my wife read about Gladys Aylward in Noel Piper’s book Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God and her story is really amazing. This book gave my boys the opportunity to learn about this missionary, though this account was not told as compellingly as many other books we have read. Still I would recommend this book because it is such a great example of missionary service. Mrs. Piper’s account might be a good background resource as you read. This book does provide good opportunities for discussing missions, service, care for others, etc.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Gretchen said...

Gladys Aylward has a pretty good autobiography as well. It is short and simply written, as was the style back then, and entirely appropriate for children 8+. I gave it to my sister to read when she was 12, I think.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Ray Van Neste said...

Gretchen,
Thansk for this info! I will look for a copy. Have you seen the older movie they made about her? I am curious to know what it is like.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Gretchen said...

Ray,

Yes, I have seen that movie. I did not know much about her life when I watched it, though! Her "romance" with the government official is highly enhanced. :) Classic sort of 1960's romance, sort of like "Sound of Music" or something. But it does portray her unbinding the girl's feet and working at the inn. Not the worst!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Here.