Saturday, September 16, 2006

Enjoying Books

For sometime now I have been wanting to write something on instilling a love for reading in your children. This is not that piece, but perhaps is a precursor.
Today we made an outing, partially to be a nice event after our son’s accident (and full recovery). We went out to eat and then to a used bookstore in town that we all like. At lunch, as we discussed going to the bookstore, my 10 year old looked up and declared, like a man stating his preference of the finer pleasures of life, “I like the smell of books, Dad.” I smiled, and inwardly rejoiced! Yes! Love books, my son, and you will be nourished in so many ways in life.

5 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger Jeremiah said...

Ray,

I can't wait until my son has his first ephiphany of "book smell"! Last year (he was 4) I caught him in my office, sitting in my chair with his legs crossed, fingering through John Murray's commentary on Romans. I asked him what he was doing, and he said, "Just reading a little." I couldn't conceal a smile (he couldn't read yet) and told him he was always welcome to "read Daddy's books".

Praise God that your son is doing well! That must have been frightening. The Lord has truly been good to you.

For His glory,
Jeremiah

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Ray Van Neste said...

Thanks Jeremiah.
That's a great story about your son!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger kate said...

I have started a blog about reading to kids- http://books.morejohn.com- I heartily agree that one of the best gifts you can give your kids is a love for books and reading. We did that with our 4, now we have grandchildren...and I have a huge collection of books here- and am reading to preschoolers and kindergartners, too. It is such a joy.
Glad your son was ok! Praise God!

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Shep Shepherd said...

Old books especially smell good. Old old books.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

One reason I don't like going to our local Bible College library, is that I spend too much time opening and smelling some of the journals on the racks!

The technical (Creation) journal put out by Ken Ham smells reeeeeaaaaaallll good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Here.